CalSTRS is a retirement system to which the District and the employee contributes.
Certificated employees with the District are members of California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS) if any of the following criteria are met:
- Already a CalSTRS Member
- FTE .50 or greater (Education Code 22501, 22502)
- 60 hours or 10 days in a single period for part-time (Education Code 22504 (a))
- Non-member substitute educator who works 100 or more complete days in one District (Education Code 22503)
- Permissive Election: Part-time and substitutes electing membership in Defined Benefit Program. This election is irrevocable and applies to all future creditable service (this includes earnings at other Districts) until you terminate employment (Education Code 22515, 22455.5).
- Right of Election- Used when an employee is a member of one retirement system and qualified for another system and has the option to remain in the first system. (ex: STRS member that qualified for PERS) (Education Code 22508).
Employee Rate Plans:
- Classic: Members on or before 12/31/2012 are required to contribute a mandatory employee contribution of 10.25% with an employer contribution of 17.10% as of 07/01/2019.
- PEPRA: Members on or after 01/01/2013 are required to contribute a mandatory employee contribution of 10.205% with an employer contribution of 17.10% as of 07/01/2019.
For CalSTRS member assistance from CalSTRS Regional Counseling Services, call 619-718-6783 or visit www.calstrs.com.
- CalSTRS Member Handbook
- Join CalSTRS? Join CalPERS?
- CalSTRS 2013 Public Employees' Pension Reform Act (PEPRA) FAQs
- CalSTRS Address Change Request Form
- CalSTRS Permissive Election Form
- CalSTRS Request for Name Change Form
- Retiree I-30 Form
- Acknowledgment of Receipt of Election Information
- Retirement Election System Form
- CalSTRS Refund Application Form
- CalSTRS Express Benefit Report Form
- CalSTRS Website: Forms and Publications