CalPERS is a retirement system to which the District and the employee contributes.
Classified employees with the District are members of California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) if any of the following criteria are met:
- Already a CalPERS Member
- FTE .50 or greater
- Has completed 1,000 hours or 125 days in fiscal year if paid daily
- 20 hours a week for 1 year or more
- Right of Election: Used when an employee is a member of one retirement system and qualified for another system and has the option to remain in the first system. (ex: PERS member that qualified for STRS) (Education Code 22508)
Reference Government Code 20305 for Exclusion from Membership as well as Government Code 20281 & 20065.
Employee Rates Plans:
- Classic: Members on or before 12/31/2012 are required to contribute a mandatory employee contribution of 7.00% with an employee contribution of 19.721% as of 07/01/2019.
- PEPRA: Members on or after 01/01/2013 are required to contribute a mandatory employee contribution of 7.00% with an employer contribution of 19.721% as of 07/01/2019.
For CalPERS member assistance from CalPERS San Diego Regional Office, call 888-225-7377 or visit www.calpers.ca.gov
- CalPERS Membership Information Handbook
- Join CalSTRS? Join CalPERS?
- CalPERS 2013 Public Employees' Pension Reform Act (PEPRA)
- CalPERS Active Member Resources