Launch of Power 30
We are excited to announce that we are piloting a new program at our school called Power 30. Power 30 is an extension of our current reading program but offers small, skill-based intervention groups and enrichment for 30 minutes a day, four days a week, to second through fifth graders. Power 30 is similar to the Pathways program at Creekside and first grade ExCEL program here at Boulder Oaks. Initial student placement is based on data from a number of assessments including SBAC, MAP testing, and other reading assessments as well as teacher input and observation. This data was analyzed carefully to identify areas of reading strengths and weaknesses in all of our students. Once these areas were identified, students were placed in an appropriate group to help meet their specific learning needs. However, the groups are fluid and student placement may change depending on progress and growth.
Specific interventions that are being targeted are decoding skills, fluency practice, and comprehension skills. Additionally, English Language Development and enrichment activities are offered.
- Decoding: the ability to recognize, chunk, and sound out words.
- Fluency: reading quickly and accurately.
- Comprehension: gaining a deep understanding what was read to help make meaning of stories.
- English Language Development: targeted instruction to meet the needs of our English Language Learners.
- Enrichment Activities: activities that enhance the regular curriculum and expand on skills already mastered. It is important for students who have met grade-level goals to continue to improve and learn.