Mrs. Weinert, Principal and Ms. Sanders, Assistant Principal
Dear Boulder Oaks Families,
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! We hope that you have had a fantastic summer filled with many memorable moments. It is hard to believe that after months of planning, the time has finally come for the merge of two wonderful schools onto the Boulder Oaks campus. We could not be more excited for all of the changes happening at Boulder Oaks. This will be a transformative year for our school and the possibilities are endless!
There is so much valuable information to share with you! We apologize in advance for the lengthy letter.
The Boulder Oaks staff, AUSD staff, and volunteers have been working incredibly hard this summer to prepare our campus for our students. Our portable classrooms have been completely remodeled and are ready to welcome our 5th graders. The blacktop has been resurfaced and freshly painted. With the help of AYSO, our field has been leveled and reseeded. Smart TVs have been installed in every classroom that did not previously have one and our P.E. rooms, art rooms, and Wheel of Experts room have been revamped to accommodate more classes and new activities. The teachers have been working in their rooms all summer to create the best possible learning environment for our students.
We have a total of eight new teachers that joined the BOES team this year. Mrs. Pfohl, Mrs. Melland, Mrs. Ellis, Mrs. Morales, Mrs. Valade, and Mrs. Smilko all come to us from AES. Additionally, Mrs. Shenk, from Shadow Hills, is joining the fifth grade team and Mrs. Vojtaskovic, from Joan MacQueen, is joining the 4th grade team. We are also welcoming two more student supervisors, two RSP assistants, one instructional aide, and an ELL specialist from AES. Lastly, we have hired assistant principal, Becca Sanders, who will be working part-time at Boulder Oaks and part-time at Joan MacQueen. We are beyond thrilled to welcome each of these educators to our BOES family.
As we head into the school year, our staff will be focused on deepening our learning, understanding, and practices around these research based initiatives that have proven to have the most impact on student learning.
- Ensuring our students social and emotional needs are met through our continued work with PBIS and our implementation of Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
- Students assessing their own learning through the consistent use of learning targets, co-created success criterias, and providing students with timely and specific feedback.
- Carefully analyzing data and using it to differentiate and drive instruction.
- Deepening our understanding and practices of the most effective mathematical teaching strategies to strengthen our students conceptual thinking.
- Using specific structures and practices to ensure that each of our students are highly engaged in their learning
Above all, we are continually focused on developing, maintaining, and strengthening our relationships with our students. We know that before true learning can occur our students must know that they are safe, loved, and valued.
On the first day of school, August 21st you will receive a handbook with all of the BOES protocols and systems. But, in the meantime, we want to make you aware of everything that you need to know for a successful first day of school.
- School starts at 8:55am. Students may be dropped off as early as 8:25am if they are eating breakfast at school. If not, students may be dropped off at 8:35am to play before school starts. Please note that there is not any supervision before 8:25am. Parents will be called to pick up their student if he/she is dropped off before this time.
- On the first day of school, please plan to arrive early and leave yourself plenty of time to find parking. We encourage you to walk your child in and go to the auditorium for fun first day pictures hosted by our PTA. The PTA will also be providing coffee for our parents. The classrooms will be open at 8:55.
- School is dismissed at 3:07. We again encourage you to be early if you plan on parking and waiting for your child outside of school. Our parking lot is going to be crowded and it is going to take time and patience as we all adjust to our increased enrollment. The CHP will also be present on Tavern Rd. the first few days. (We will be sending home parking lot protocol in another email.)
- Starting on Thursday, August 22nd, students will line-up on the blacktop before school and we will gather as a school community for announcements, flag salute, and our Peace Pledge. Parents are always welcome and encouraged to join us at this time where we come together as a school community.
- In anticipation of heavy traffic in our parking lot and pick-up line on a daily basis, we are implementing “Play at the Park” after school each day. At the end of the school day, the gate separating our field from the BOES park will be opened along with the gate from the parking lot to the field. We are encouraging parents to park on Tavern towards the park, walk through the park and field to pick up your child and then back through the field for some play time at the park. This will allow you to socialize and connect with other BOES parents and will hopefully make our pick-up process run as smoothly as possible.
- Class lists will be posted on Tuesday, August 20th at 4:00pm. Our PTA will be hosting a Popsicle Posting Party from 4-6pm and Otterpops will be proved. Bobos Munchies Ice Cream truck will also be on campus with a variety of treats for purchase (cash only). Additionally, our PTA will be selling PTA memberships and BOES t-shirts. Each teacher will also have a supply list posted with suggested items that can be donated to the classroom. Please note that the rest of the campus will be closed during this time as our teachers will be busy getting their rooms ready for the next day.
- Bussing does start on the first day of school but only students who have completed their bus registration will be permitted to ride the bus. Please click on the following link to register your students: AUSD Bus Registration
Please mark your calendars for all upcoming events:
Tuesday, August 20th - PTA Popsicle Posting Party 4:00-6:00pm (Class lists will be posted all evening.)
Wednesday, August 21st - First Day of School
Monday, August 26th (and every Monday) - College Gear Dress-up Day
Wednesday, August 28th (and every Wednesday) - Love for Luke Day - wear orange and blue
Wednesday, September 4th - Teacher Collaboration Day - 2:07pm Dismissal
Thursday, September 5th - Back to School Night - 5:30pm
We are looking forward to school year filled with fun and lots of learning and growing! We are honored that you have chosen Boulder Oaks and for trusting us with your most precious possession. Together truly is better and the upcoming school year is going to be our greatest adventure yet!
Jenna Weinert, Principal and Becca Sanders, Assistant Principal